Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Floss

Regardless of the meals eaten throughout the day, many people often think that all they have to do to keep their teeth clean is to simply brush them. Brushing alone, however, only clears part of the plaque on your teeth. Flossing regularly is one of the most important steps you can take to keep your gums and teeth as healthy as possible. Here are the top 5 reasons you should start flossing.

The 40%. A tooth has five faces – the top, the two sides that face outward, and the sides that are in between each tooth. By brushing only the areas that are possible to see, you’re only ridding your mouth of about 60% of bacteria – and leaving a potentially dangerous 40% behind. Flossing will easily get rid of that awful hidden plaque.

Gum Disease. The more you continue to ignore flossing, the more risk you are putting towards your health. Gum Disease is the number 1 cause of tooth loss in adults – especially those over the age of 30, at which point most people have some form of gum disease. What’s all the more alarming is that Gum Disease can sneak up on you at anytime, as it frequently goes undetected in less painful cases. Start fighting back now.

The Bleeding Gums. Have you ever brushed your teeth and found your gums inflamed or mildly bleeding? It’s easy to lay the blame on your toothbrush or brushing habits, but more often than not, the answer is simple: you’re not flossing your teeth enough. It’s easy and common to neglect flossing – but by making it a habit, it can help prevent bleeding gums.

Other Diseases. Gum Disease can lead to all sorts of awful conditions. The neglected bacteria in-between your teeth can make its way into the bloodstream and could lead to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and even cancer. So, by flossing, you’re not only doing your teeth a great service, but your overall health as well.

Stronger Teeth. This is probably one of the main reasons why you should floss your teeth. Your oral hygiene is a vital part of your image, and neglecting to floss can lead to tooth loss or painful cavities. Flossing can be your best friend when it comes to oral hygiene.  Instead of waiting to floss until after you brush (when it’s easy to skip because your teeth already feel minty fresh), try making it a habit to floss before you brush your teeth.

For safe and professional procedures concerning your teeth, check out our Services Page and give us a call at 830-629-8011 to schedule an appointment.